Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Lab D - Sport Stacking

Now, after reading the header you're probably thinking to yourself... cups? in a physical education class? Well that's right folks! Sport Stacking is a new sport and it's got anyone who tries it hooked! I stacked my first set of cups when I was in high school and I've been a fan ever since. For my Lab D I taught students how to perform various cycles in Sport Stacking such as a 3-3-3 and a 3-6-3. If you don't believe how fast, fun and crazy this sport can be then just feast your eyes on this Youtube video of the Kenneth Liao performing his recording breaking 3-3-3 cycle. (Which he holds the world record for!)



       Overall I thought my Lab D went fairly well. We had 20 minutes to teach but it felt like I was teaching for 5 minutes. I didn't get to do a lot of the activities that I wanted to get to but that's because I spent a majority of time demonstrating and showing the students how to up stack and how to down stack for the 3-3-3 and the 3-6-3. I received some very constructive positive feedback from Professor Yang. I feel as I watched my lesson I hit all of the marks on the C-9 form with the exception a few things missing here and there.
       One thing I thought I did an excellent job of was addressing the NYS and NASPE Standards. Now for NYS Standard 1 I feel as though the students really were getting the skills down and really worked on their motor skills when they were stacking. I could further their motor skills for next time by having them cup stacking but incorporating fitness elements so they're using their whole bodies. I also felt I had a strong representation of NYS Standards 2 and 3 because for Standard 2 all the students were safe and demonstrated that they understood they needed to be safe. They also seemed to be having fun when they were stacking so they understood that this type of physical activity can be challenging but also enjoyable! I felt that I did an excellent job making sure students knew where to find more information on Sport Stacking by telling them about the website and knew of where to get cups and different ways they could get involved with Sport Stacking such as who to contact and different workshops students could go to. All of these things would cover Standard 3. Having the NYS Standards addressed would also encompass NASPE Standards 1,2,5 and 6. 
       One thing I defiantly need to work on is getting the students active quicker and giving smaller demonstrations. 14 minutes on a demonstration is way to long and especially if I'm going to working with small children. Looking at my time coding form I spent a majority of the class just demonstrating and that's not good at all. This is something that is fixable and I will continue to work on as I perfect my teaching abilities.
Another thing I want to work on is incorporating different teaching styles into my lesson. Throughout the semester I really only stuck to Command and Practice. I want to try new teaching styles and see if they work for me and as we said today in class it makes for an interesting class. So this is something I want to try and work on/improve.
       Something I was pleased to see when looking at my feedback analysis form was that I was to get around to everyone in the class and provide feedback. I found that although with a few students I gave general feedback, most of the students I talked to I gave positive congruent feedback. This is something I've been trying to work on since Lab B. I'm really proud of myself that I was not only able to get around to everyone but provide students with the proper feedback so they can continue to do better. 
       I thought this was a great lesson for everyone to experience because how often do we as students get to learn about something such as Sport Stacking? I feel even though the lesson didn't go exactly to plan that the students got a lot of knowledge and practice in art of sport stacking. There's always room for improvement and that's exactly what I'm going to keep doing!    

Click on the videos below to see my lesson!


No comments:

Post a Comment